Redhawks Lose to Missouri State at the Buzzer, 81-78 - Southeast Missouri State University Athletics
Skip To Main Content
Redhawks Lose to Missouri State at the Buzzer, 81-78
Jarekious Bradley turned in a double-double 26 points and 10 rebounds, and made a baseline jumper to tie the game at Missouri State

Redhawks Lose to Missouri State at the Buzzer, 81-78

Box Score Final Statistics | PDF Version

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - Dorrian Williams banked in an off-balance desperation three-pointer at the buzzer to allow Missouri State (10-2) to escape with an 81-78 victory over Southeast Missouri (8-5) Sunday afternoon in a barn-burner at JQH Arena.

Williams caught the in-bounds pass and dribbled to the top of the key where he launched his shot with 0.6 seconds left. The ball kissed off the glass and went in to secure MSU's eighth-straight home win.

Luck struck the Bears immediately after Southeast erased an eight-point deficit with a 10-2 run over a 2:18 span. Jarekious Bradley made two free throws and followed those up with a three-pointer to narrow the gap to 77-72 with 1:39 remaining.

Shortly after Tyler Stone added two free throws of his own, Jamaal Calvin stole the ball and drove the length of the court for a layup to pull the Redhawks to within one (77-76) with 25 seconds left.

Marcus Marshall split a pair of free throws on the Bears' ensuing possession and Southeast rebounded the miss on his second attempt.

After calling a timeout, Bradley buried a baseline jumper to tie the game at 78-78 with four seconds. Redhawks head coach Dickey Nutt said after the game that the play was initially set up for his team to go for the win.

"There was a three-point shot designed and they took that away from us," commented Nutt. "Jarekious did exactly what he was supposed to do and scored on the next option."

For the second-straight game, Southeast found itself behind by double figures and again clawed its way back.

Bradley was fouled in the act of shooting a three-pointer and made three free throws to give the Redhawks their only lead at 5-2 with 16:49 left to play in the first half.

Keith Pickens' jumper then gave MSU its largest lead (61-41) at the 13:21 mark of the second half before Southeast stormed back.

"We are disappointed and certainly wanted to get to overtime," said Nutt. "I was proud of the way we battled back and never let go of the rope."

The Redhawks, after making a season-low eight field goals (8-of-24) in the first half, heated up to shoot 53.8 percent (7-of-13) from three-point range in the game's final 20 minutes. Southeast also added 13-of-17 free throws in the second stanza.

Freshman Antonius Cleveland matched a season-high 17 points, all of which came in the second half. Cleveland, who got into early foul trouble, also drove the lane and threw down a nasty one-handed jam in traffic during his scoring binge.

Southeast again struggled to get shots to fall in the early going, missing its first five field goals of the game. The Redhawks wound up shooting just 33.3 percent from the field in the first half.

Behind, 14-10, following Stone's free throw with 11:04 remaining, MSU went on a 7-0 jaunt to pull ahead by double-digits.

Ron Mvouika drained a three-pointer to kickstart the run. Tyler McCullough followed with two free throws before Mvouika scored on a jumper to give the Bears a 21-10 advantage at the 8:42 mark.
Paul McRoberts answered with two threes and Tyler Stone scored eight-straight points and knocked down a three of his own to help cut MSU's lead to 10 before the Bears pulled ahead, 37-24, at the half.
Bradley finished with a game-high 26 points and pulled down 10 rebounds for his second-straight double-double and third in his last five starts. He scored 21 of his points on 7-of-11 field goals, 4-of-7 threes and a perfect 3-of-3 free throws in the second half.

Stone followed with 22 points and 11 rebounds, earning his third-consecutive double-double. He shot 8-of-15 from the field, knocked down two three-pointers and shot 4-of-6 at the free throw line in 38 minutes. Additionally, Stone gathered a game-high four blocks.

Marshall led all MSU scorers with 19 points. The Bears outrebounded Southeast, 39-35, and grabbed 14 offensive boards. MSU had 20 second chance points on the day.

MSU and Southeast met for the 143rd time.

The Redhawks continue their three-game road stretch when they open Ohio Valley Conference play at Murray State Thursday. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m., CT, at the CFSB Center. Southeast and Murray State were picked as the Co-West Division favorites in this year's OVC Preseason Poll.

Print Friendly Version

Related News

Pinterest - Pin It